Well, Goose and I met with the medical oncologist yesterday and as I suspected, she could only offer me generic information because they did not have the results of the Oncotype DX test. The Oncotype test will assess the risk of a recurrence of breast cancer or a metastasis in the future and is therefore important in my desicion making process about the further course of treatment.
What she did tell me is this.............
If I were to forego any further treatment, there's approximately a 20% chance that I would have a recurrence of cancer. If I take antihormone therapy (Tamoxifen) without chemotherapy, there is approximately a 15% chance of recurrence, and if both chemo and Tamoxifen are administered the chance of recurrence goes to approximately 10%.
However, the survival rates are as follows...........
Without any additional therapy there is a 3% chance that I will die from a recurrence, but with chemo and Tamoxifen there is a 1% chance that I will die due to a recurrence. Let me tell you, with numbers like that, I am not running to get my first chemo injection!
I also discussed the possiblity of removing my ovaries, which is considered a valid treatment option because my cancer is one that is estrogen receptor positive, which simply means that the estrogen produced in the ovaries is what is feeding the cancer cells. Although, the oncologist is not a proponant of ovary removal instead of chemo, she could not deny that it likely changed the statistics and reduced my risk of dying from a recurrence to somewhere around 2%.
Because estrogen is also produced by our adrenal glands, I may still have to take some sort of antihormonal therapy, but it may be something called an aromatase inhibitor rather than Tamoxifen. That would be a good thing because there are less side effects. Still have some research to do about that though.
Although this course of treatment means further surgery, I feel it is a better option than poisoning my body for 3 months! Good thing I did my reading, because the oncologist would never have discussed ovary removal had I not brought it up. Let me tell you folks, if you can't be your own advocate, then you better get someone who can, because otherwise you risk being a number rather than a person. That's my perspective anyway.
How's that for a bunch of information? Next steps include a visit to a gynocologist on Aug 12 to discuss the ovary thing and I have asked for a referral to another oncologist for a 2nd opinion. My sister works at the hospital in Barre, and the Docs there recommended that I see Dr Hyman Muss. He's supposedly one of the best! However, I want to be sure the results of the Oncotype DX test are received before I go see him.
Anyway, that's about it for today. I am off to get mulch so we can finish spritzing up Jessica's new pond that we all worked to establish in her back yard. That will be a lot more fun than contemplating chemo and removal of body parts! I bet she has beer too!
Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. Hugs to all!
Shannon (Mav)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Shannon,
We support you, whatever option you choose. HOWEVER- understand that we have been looking forward to you wearing wigs, hats and of course to painting your bald head to as we did to Josh on that wonderful spring morning prior to Easter. So just understand, if you don’t have chemo, we see you with a bald head one way or another!!!!
Tyler's Three cents (Cause two just ain't enough) about how to choose:
Cent #1: Whatever Goose Says
Cent #2: Whatever keeps your dollars on the table
Cent #3: Whatever keeps a smile on your face!
:-)
you smiled didn't you?
I know you did...
See?! Better than Chemo!
My job here is done... go make some money, daddy needs a new pair of shoes.
Don't you hate how Dr's always think they can just give vague answers and nobody would dare question them. Keep enlightening the medical community sis. I love it.
Luv you too.
Mike
Good for you to get so many opinions!! Your sister works at the hospital in Barre?? What does she do? I wonder if I met her when my Dad was there...
You sound good, Shannon - clear-headed about all of this - I'm proud of you :)
Post a Comment