OMG, I think my husband is having an affair with a short haired, unemployed red head! Let me tell you if you ever want to spice things up, just make a big change to your hair, and you may be pleasantly surprised! I can't wait to see what happens when I borrow my friend Brian's Ronald McDonald wig! We'll be swinging from the rafters baby! Gotta take your blessings where you find them folks!
Anyway back to the genetic testing. I got the results yesterday, and they were negative!! Whew, what a relief! It means that I do not have either the BRCA-1 or BRCA-2 genetic mutations, and although my risk is slightly higher than the general population because there is some history of Ovarian Cancer in my family, there is only a 10 to 15 percent chance that I will develop ovarian cancer or breast cancer in the right breast. This of course also means I will not need to have a double mastectomy. Still undetermined about the removal of ovaries though, because they produce estrogen and progesteron and removing them may help in curing my existing cancer. I will have more conversations over the next weeks with the Doc's about that. They are also talking about an additional test called on Oncotype DX test, which should give us a further indication about the possibilty of recurrance in my left breast. Not sure yet when that will be done.
Now the next hurdle is to talk to my surgeon about the results of my MRI. I have 4 other "suspicious" spots in my left breast, and will talk to him today (I hope) about whether or not they have to be biopsied before I go into surgery on July 14. I would really rather only go to surgery once, so would like to know if the other areas are malignant and therefore should consider a mastectomy again, or if a lumpectomy will do the trick. I'll let you know what he says. Either way, I am simply going to focus on the good news for a while and take it a step at a time.
I had a great time in Bradford over 4th of July weekend! I spent the afternoon of July 3rd being Reiki'd and attuned by my dear friend/family Stephanie. Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows around us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is out of balance, we are more likely to be stressed or sick and of course if it is well balanced, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.
This is the second treatment Steph has given me and let me tell you, it is very cool! After the treatment, there is a wonderful feeling of well being, and serenity. Now that I have been attuned, I can also do Reiki on myself, and have been doing so every morning and evening! I highly recommend getting a treatment if ever presented with the option. Thanks so much Steph, I can't tell you how much I appreciate everything you and Paul do for me!
The 4th was spent partying way too much, and the fireworks display in our field in front of the house was AMAZING! We then headed to Bumpy and Brim's (Jessica's Mom & Dad) house on the 5th for more of the same. Bumpy was the fireworks master at both events, and let me tell you that guy knows how to put on a display! Good thing I could Reiki myself, because let me tell you, I was off balance more than a little bit of the weekend! Gotta love the "Bradford Gang".
Well that about sums it up for today. I am picking up my neice, Shannon (my name sake) at the airport today at noon. She is 13, and this is her first trip without her parents. She is flying in from Atlanta, and the next few days will be spent in search of adventure and lots of girl stuff! We are getting mani's and pedi's tomorrow morning! She is the sweetest girl and will certainly appreciate her help in keeping me distracted as I move closer to the 14th. I really do have so much to be thankful for!
I appreciate so very much all of your good thoughts/prayers, and Lisa, I love the rhyme, I think I would have liked your Grandmother!
Hugs and love,
Shannon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Shannon-I am so happy the tests came back negative and that sense of humor I love is still intact! I always hate being so far away from you guys and am so glad you set up this blog to keep us all informed(this way I can stop stalking Heid!) I think I still have a couple pretty cool wigs from my bachelorette party so I will start digging around for those -although now I am officially on the hunt to find you a big afro wig like the one Samantha wore on Sex and the City! I'm sorry we missed out on the 4th-it sounds like you all had the usual "Bradford fun"! I am thinking about you all the time and Michaela and I send lots of hugs and kisses-we can't wait to see your new red hair! Love ya
Christine
Hey Shannon!
Sending you a big "hello" from the midwest...(Michigan that is!)
Linda sent me your blog...and although I haven't had a chance to read it all ....sounds like you have a GREAT attitude!! Keep it up!! You are in control of it...and not it you!!!
Thoughts and prayers!!
Susie Olpere
Oscoda, MI
Post a Comment