Hello to all of my dear concerned friends and family. As you know, I have been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I know, it kind of took my breath away too, not to mention what it's going to do to my boob! Anyway, Linda Seeholzer or "Goose" as she's known when she is by my side at the Doctor's office, (I of course am Maverick) and the beautiful, talented and clever, Jessica Norkon suggested that I set up this blog as a means of communicating with everyone who has been good enough to show their concern for my well-being.
So, first I would like to reassure you all that I am doing as well as can be expected given the situation. As of today, I am still waiting to hear about a test for a genetic mutation referred to as BRCA-1 and BRCA-2 Markers. The simplified version is that if I have one of these markers, there is a 50% chance that I will develop Breast Cancer in my right breast at some point in the future, and and a 30 to 40% chance of developing Ovarian Cancer. If I do have the marker, rather than just concentrating our efforts on the left breast, I will likely have a double mastectomy and also have my ovaries removed. This will improve my odds by 90%, which isn't far from the general populations risk of developing these same cancers. Obviously, I would rather only go through this crap once and who knows, I just may get that big set of breasts I always wanted! I guess you have to be careful what you wish for too.
Of course the hope is that I do not have the marker, in which case I am scheduled to have a lumpectomy on July 14th, at which point they will also do a Sentinel Node Biopsy which will tell us if the cancer has spread to my Lymph Nodes. If it has spread to the Nodes, then they will remove the nodes as well. If not, then we wait for further pathology that will be done outside of the O.R. and that will give us additional information about the further course of treatment. It is likely, given what we know so far, that I will have to have both Radiation and Chemotherepy before I am done, as well as will take a drug called Tomoxafin. The treatments and the drug will address the concerns about the possibilty of the cancer having spread to other areas of the body as well as making sure I don't have a recurrence of breast cancer.
The treatments will also put me into menopause immediately, and I will have to deal with the other possible side effects as well, which include the possible loss of hair, weight gain, and problems with mouth sores etc.. So if you run across 300 pound, bald and possibly toothless raging maniac who seems to know you, that will likely be me. Just tell me how cute I am and perhaps recommend a good diet and exercise program along with a hair dresser who makes wigs! However, if you can't joke about it, please just smile and nod!
On that same note, we have decided to make the best of a possibly bad situation by being creative. If I do lose my hair, I have decide that the more outrageous the look the better. So with that in mind, I have already started by cutting my hair short (no point in trying to grow it out now) and dying it red. I have had a few different reactions to this. Jessica says I look 10 years younger! Woo Hoo!, but my grandson, Ian is not so sure. He just said "oh Nana, it's awfully red"! He of course just thinks I am crazy anyway, but also knows that both Nana and Grandpa think they are both awfully good looking people! Either way, if you have some ideas and or wigs you would like to donate to the cause of making a difficult situation more light hearted, I will gladly accept your help/donation.
As I go through this process, I will try to keep you all updated via this blog, but if at times I am not feeling up to it, Jessica and Linda have assured me they will do the updates for me. So please feel free to visit as often as you wish, and I welcome your notes of encouragement, your thoughts and prayers, and of course any and all jokes. If at times I am not responsive to your phone calls, I hope you will understand that I am simply doing what I can to care for myself, and that it does not mean I don't appreciate your thoughtfulness.
You know what they say, there is a silver lining to all things, and so far, I can tell you that my silver lining is knowing that all of you have shown your love, friendship and support, and so I know that I am truley fortunate indeed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Hey Mav, It's me Goose *wink* ... well I must say you have impressed the hell out of me !!! (not that I am surprised) ... You have stated that better then they did !! and you know, that is half the battle Mav..... understanding it.. and just to BELIEVE :) I am PROUD to be your "wingman" ... and I am honored to be your friend! You and Tony have touched me and my family's heart beyond words, you opened your door and your hearts when we didn't know anyone... must of been that "midwestern karma" that brought us together !! and I thank the "Big Guy" everyday for it... So, with that being said, lets get this show on the road, lets get you back into those white jeans that Tony's love so much *grin* cuz girlfriend you have a VERY VERY VERY LONG Life ahead of you *high five*
I'm there for you, I love you and I want ALL of Tony's money !!! *hehehehehe* oh ya, I'm still looking for that "special" wig *wink* .... I'm sure B won't mind you borrowing it *LOL*
I will post when you need me to, or want me to, or when I just feel like sharing my thoughts with everyone... and they can call or email me ANYTIME they need to or want to :)
So until the next time.... I got your back Maverick !!!
I love ya
Goose :)
Shannon (please note I refrained from using any nicknames that might embarrass you),
First of all I am so super impressed that you set up this BLOG. Really I am quite certain there is nothing that you can NOT do. All joking aside, you are an inspiration to so many people. I don't think you really have a clue to how many lives you touch. I only hope that in some small way being there for you will begin to tip the scales in thanking you for all the things you do for me and my family.
Now all that sentimental crap said and done- you need a laugh, someone to make some bad jokes, dress you up and roll you out- Heidi and I, WE ARE YOUR BACKUP!!!!
Love you!
J-No
hey Shannon! This is pretty cool...your own blog! I am happy to have a way to keep up to date on whats happening with you. Please know that you are ALWAYS in our prayers (and our thoughts when we forget to pray..) I will give the address to Amy and Sarah as well...and Donnie...well I'll just read it to him!!
not much more to say right now but I will be back! love you....Teri
Hey Shan -
Just wanted you to know that you are in our hearts and prayers and I cant thank you enough for all that you have done for Jeff and I so if we can certainly ever try to repay the favor please let us know... I have no jokes but I have a semi nursery rhyme that my grandpa used to say and I think it will make you smile..
Hickory Dickory Dighty
The mouse ran up her nighty
Bit her tip
and made her shit
Jesus Christ almighty !!!
Hugs and Kisses
Lisa
Hey Shannon--I can relate to choosing RED for a new hair color. I have probably tried almost every shade out there- so if you need any suggestions, I'm there. Ditto if you are craving rice krispie treats- I'll whip some up. My thoughts are with both you and Tony. Love, Deb
Hey Red!
Very impressive piece of work here- now we won't bug you with countless phone calls when you've just had it with talking, talking, talking...
Paul and I love you!
Steph
The Journey
by David Whyte
Above the mountains
the geese turn into
the light again
painting their
black silhouettes
on an open sky
Sometimes everything
has to be
enscribed across
the heavens
so you can find
the one line
already written
inside you.
Sometimes it takes
a great sky
to find that
small, bright
and indescribable
wedge of freedom
in your own heart.
Sometimes with
the bones of the black
sticks left when the fire
has gone out
Someone has written
something new
in the ashes
of your life.
You are not leaving.
You are arriving.
shannon,
kris white here. thanks for setting up this blog and giving those of us who care about you a chance to respond to the situation.
and thanks for the laughs - you always seem to find the bright side and that is so important - without humor, what is there?
i'll keep checking your blog. if there is anything (and i know people always say this but...) anything i can do - handle a vet visit, pick something up - call on me (309-5402)(kawhite310@gmail.com)
thinking of you and missing you
kris
Hey Shannon!
Well, I must say - you shouldn't have gone to all this trouble just so that we'd all have a reason to stay in touch ;-)
I have been thinking about you and glad to hear about your genetic results.
So count me in on your blogger loop - and I think you know you can call on me for whatever and however things go.
Post a Comment