Good morning all. My neice Shannon arrived yesterday, feeling very grown up, having traveled from Atlanta to Vermont all by herself for the first time. She of course called her parents right away to let them know she had arrived safely, and then had to call 4 different girl friends too. Oh to be 13 again and to have so much going on you that you have to check in with your friends after a mere 4 hour flight! Actually, I think Jessica may be inclined to do that too!
So, I have another biopsy today at 10am on my left breast. You may recall that the MRI showed some other suspicious areas and because I am now considering a lumpectomy, we have to determine if those areas are malignant. I have been reassured by the surgeon that they are probably benign, but as I have said before I only want to have surgery once, so best to get the information now, and have a mastectomy if need be.
It usually takes 3 to 5 days to get the pathology report, but because my surgery is scheduled for this coming Monday, they are going to try to expedite the results. If we don't have the patholgy report by Friday, then my surgery will be rescheduled. Also, if it turns out that the lump is malignant and I need a mastectomy, we then have to reschedule anyway, so that it can be coordinated with a plastic surgeon. I don't know that we can really count on anything being expedited though. The genetic testing was supposed to take 2 weeks and it took 3, so I don't think I will hold my breath.
I am sure it has been said by most people who experience any kind of cancer, that it is the waiting that is the hardest part. I might also add, that it pays to be your own advocate, and if you are unable to do so, then you need a strong minded and determined person to act on your behalf. As I am sure you can imagine, I have no trouble holding my own, but Linda (aka Goose) also goes to all of my appointments with me so that there is a second set of ears and a differing perspective. Either way, I am learning once again that the being a withering little flower gets you no where! (I have always sort of thought of myself as hybrid rose anyway!) And by the way, if any of you ladies have been putting your mammograms off, please take care of it asap! I assure you that it is no walk in the park going through all of this, but much better than death! Simple as that.
So on that cheery note, I will leave you for today. My grandson, Ian is attending baseball camp this week, so I need to drop him off at 8:30am before I go to my appointment. Even though it is only 6am now, you just don't get this good looking without having to put some effort into it! We are headed to the beach later today or possibly over to Dani's to play in her pool. This unemployed stuff ain't so bad you know!
Thanks to everyone who has taken time to check on me and/or posted a comment. I really appreciate all of you and you truly are my back up!!
Shannon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Shan you are right! I would have had to call once my plane landed as I am sure during the course of the 4 hours since I had last seen you I would have said or done something extremely clever and or witty that I would HAVE to share!
Post a Comment