Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bald is Beautiful!!!!!

Well, I had my appointment with Dr. Hyman Muss yesterday. He's the Medical Oncologist that had come so highly recommended and after my visit with him, I now know why. He was also very personable and obviously cares a great deal about his patients. He even gave me hug when we were done talking! However, it is now time for me to stop looking for someone to tell me what I want to hear, and accept what I guess is the inevitable........... I will be better off if I accept chemotherepy treatment.

Dr. Muss spent a fair amount of time reviewing the results with me and for this I am very greatful as I am obviously making a life changing decision. He explained that the results of the Oncotype DX test (which is specific to me) indicate that there is an 11% chance that an incurable form of this same cancer could recur within the next 10 years. On their risk scale, this is considered to be relatively low, but of course that depends on your perpsective!

He then went on to explain, that removing my ovaries would be an alternative to taking the drug Tomoxafin but does not replace the need to consider chemo as a treatment option. The removal of my ovaries will as I have indicated before, stop the production of estrogen, but does not address the fact that my cancer is one that is systemic. And while avoiding Tomoxifin is good and he supports my decision to remove my ovaries because of the drug's side affects, chemo will still provide as he put it "added value".

Because the cancer is systemic, the chemo addresses the possibility that a microscopic piece of my tumor has broken off and attached itself elsewhere in my body. If this has happened, it could lie dorment for several months/years before presenting itself as another likely incurable cancer. So what's the "added value" you might ask? Well, he advised that because I am so young (at least to be diagnosed with cancer) he felt that it would reduce the recurrence risk to about 8%. Based on this information, and after discussing it with Tony and other family members, I have decided to "bite the bullet" and accept the treatment, because from my perspective, that's 3 more chances to live to see 55.

I don't yet know when the first treatment will be, but expect it will be in the next few weeks. I left a message for Maggie this morning to go ahead and start the process, so will have more info by the end of the week. I would like to wait until after Labor Day, as "The Bradford Gang" has plans for a weekend of fishing, BBQ'ing, 4-wheeling and bonfiring as well as knocking back a few brewskies. I'll have to wait and see though, as I go back and forth between avoidance, and just wanting to get it over with.

So, here's how it will all play out. Chemo for 3 months, radiation for about 7 weeks, and then surgery to remove my ovaries. The good news being that this will all be over in about 6 months. In addition, I now have the opportunity to see what I look like in long hair! I guess there is a place in Winooski that works with cancer patients to provide wigs, or as my friend JoAnne was advised when she researched it for me, a "full cranial prosthesis"! That's insurance companies for you. Oh, and I know Jessica is already planning for all of the outrageous things she will paint on my head!

Although yesterday was a hard day, I am thankful that I finally got to speak to someone I trusted, and who finally explained in detail why chemotherepy would benefit me. Even as I write this, I struggle to accept my decision, but know that when I look back at this in the future I will be glad that I chose this course of treatment. So onward and upward we go!

Again, I appreciate all of the cards of support and your good wishes for my well being. Without all of you, this would be a much more difficult road to travel. And you know what they say, "bald is beautiful".

Hugs and love to all,
Shannon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shannon, that had to be the toughest decision you have ever made. I am so happy you found a Dr. that you can talk to and feel cared for. Stay strong and lean on your friends and family. If you need anything,just ask. You are in my prayers. Can't wait to see you as a blonde. Love you..

Susan