Thursday, August 14, 2008

Here we go.............

Whew, what a week this has been! It has been filled with appointments and phone calls to and from the hospital, but at least most of the decisions have been made and the procedures scheduled. I saw Dr. Soultanakis (the gynocologist) on Tuesday, regarding the removal of my ovaries and he explained that he believed the benefit would be twofold. Not only does ovary and fallopian tube removal address the production of estrogen and eliminate the need for me to take an anti-hormone drug (Tomoxafin), but it also virtually eliminates the risk for ovarian cancer which is linked to breast cancer. At least that's one less thing to worry about in the coming years.

That being said, we went ahead and scheduled the surgery for Aug. 20, at which time they will also place a semi-permanant port through which the chemotherepy will be delivered. The doc advised that recovery time is generally a couple of days of discomfort, mostly due to bloating because they will blow my stomach full of air in order to manipulate the organs. I wouldn't walk behind me for a couple days if I were you! So menopause here I come............. poor Tony!

After surgery the next step is chemotherepy. My first session is scheduled for Thurs., Sept 4, so it seems I will indeed be able to enjoy one last hurrah with "The Bradford Gang" over Labor Day weekend. I will then receive 3 more treatments at 3 week intervals, and if all goes as planned, I will complete treatment on Nov. 6. Just in time for deer season! Gotta cook and take care of my boys you know!

My insurance company has also given approval for me to get a "full cranial prosthesis", so I'll be sporting a new wig soon as well. Maybe I should have had a boob job too, then I really could look like a new person when this is all over? Hmmm, I'm thinking Jennifer Aniston?? Anyway, I have an appointment at the end of next week for a fitting and was told that it usually only takes a few days to get my new hair. It's really kind of exciting, and I am sure Jessica and Heidi will have some say in what I end up with. I know you won't believe it, but they kind of laugh and make fun of my real hair.! Hard to imagine!

So that's the most recent news. I have been working with some very wonderful people and as I move forward, the decision to incorporate chemo into my treatment plan, although still frightening, becomes easier to accept. I just want to move on and get this all behind me. The good news is that getting ready in the morning will be soooo much easier without eyelashes and hair, not to mention, no need to shave! I also have the wonderful head pieces that you, my dear friends purchased for me. I'll be sure to post pictures as I go through my metamorphasis as a sense of humor will most certainly be needed to get through all of this. I can only imagine what Jess and Heidi have planned....................................

However, the entire week wasn't a bust. Ian and his step-sis, Shannon, have been with me since Tuesday evening, so I have enjoyed spending time with them. Unfortunately, both of them got sick while here. Shannon got sick on Tuesday evening so at least she was able to sleep through most of the discomfort, but Ian got sick Wednesday afternnon and he had a bit tougher time. I felt bad because we were supposed to have adventures with Dani and her grand daughter Meaghan, but it just didn't work out. Dani is such a sweetheart though, she still took the girls blueberry picking while I cared for Ian. Shannon and I then used those berries to bake a blueberry coffee cake.........mm mm good! As of today, both kids have their spunk back, and we spent time playing, running through the sprinkler and going out to lunch. Tomorrow, Ian is going to spend time with Grandma JoAnne, but Shannon and I are going swimming at Dani's house with Meaghan and Livvie, and there will be cake for everyone! Gotta focus on the good stuff!

Thank you to everyone for all of your words of comfort and encouragement. I know I will have a great deal to be thankful for come Thanksgiving time.

Hugs and love,
Shannon

1 comment:

nancy said...

Hi Shannon-Your initial reports were so relatively good that it was easy to breath a sigh of relief but obviously you still have a long road ahead (however better than a short road ahead!)

You've been so positive and things are thankfully less critical and dramatic but I'm keeping the extent to which you nevertheless have major challenges in my thoughts.

As for losing your helmet hairdo - well, it was time for a makeover anyway, don't you think?

I believe that little shop in Winooski would be worthwhile for you. Let me know if you make an appointment - I'd be happy to meet up with you - I live nearby.