Monday, November 17, 2008

Radiation and Opening Deer Season

Hello my friends,

Well, the past week has been a busy one, filled with doctor's appointments and more hunting. As many of you know, this past weekend was opening deer season in Vermont, so I was in Bradford cooking for Heidi and the boys. Yes, Heidi hunts too! And the Munns are grinning ear to ear again, because our nephew, Michael, had a successful hunt on Sunday afternoon and bagged himself a nice 7 point, 125 lb buck!

Yet another example of what great hunters these guys are! They have spent a lifetime in those woods, and a successful hunt doesn't happen without time and effort. Unfortunately, Heidi and I had already left, so did not get to take part in the traditional gathering and the telling of "the story", but we will all be together again the weekend after Thanksgiving, and who knows, there may be a few more stories to tell by then.

Now about me! It is my blog after all! As you know, I have finished chemo, and have also completed all the preliminary work needed to begin the radiation treatments. I begin radiation on Dec. 1, and will continue treatment for 6 and 1/2 weeks; treatments being daily - Monday through Friday. I am however, quite frustrated because although I requested morning appointments, the only time they could fit me into the schedule was at 8 o'clock at night! @#$*%@. Yes, that is me cussing! No surprise to most of you!

It seems that because the hospital only has 2 machines, and so many folks (unfortunatley) need their services, their day time schedule is full. Now, I hate to be a whiner, but jeez Louise, who wants to go out every night at 8PM to be radiated? The good news is, that as people cycle out of the schedule, by week 3, I may be able to get an earlier appointment.

Although I am doing the best I can to accept the inconvenience of going to the hospital every evening, as you can tell from the above narrative, I have yet to fully come to terms with it. Either way, I remind myself that this is just one more step in the process, and this too shall pass.

Now for some good news. I feel terrific! The worst of the chemo side effects are over and I am starting to get my energy back. My legs still bother me a bit, and I still have some residual skin problems, but other than that, I have no complaints. My hair is even starting to grow back! Although it is only ablout 1/4 of an inch long, and still patchy in places, when I take my hat off, I can feel the wind in my hair. Now, that doesn't mean you'll be seeing pictures of me with my hair blowing in the wind anytime soon, but it's a start! Can't wait though, because I'm kind of tired of hats.

So, all in all, it has been a good week, and I have a couple more weeks before I have to think about radiation so I guess I'll just enjoy the respite and get on with life. I don't have any pictures for you today, but the next several weeks promise to be eventful and so will have more for you on future postings and one day, in the not too distant future, I'll be able to post that picture with my hair blowing in the wind!

I love you all,
Shannon

No comments: