Friday, November 21, 2008

Color me confused .............


Hi all,

Well, it has been an interesting couple of weeks in regard to my ongoing treatment. As you may recall, the primary reason for having my ovaries removed was that Dr. Muss, (he's the guy who gave me the second opinion), advised me that, in his opinion, overy removal would eliminate the need for hormone suppression therepy (Tomoxafin), but would not eliminate the need for chemo, as I had originally thought.

His notes and evaluation of my condition were then sent to my Oncology Doc, who you would think, would then tell me if she had a differing opinion. Wouldn't you? Well, that was not the case! My Doc decided to wait until after my ovaries were removed, and chemo was completed before advising me that she did not agree with that course of treatment and feels that I do need to take Tomoxafin. Fine time to tell me!

So now, I am back in research mode. I have scheduled another appointment with Dr. Muss, to have him once again explain to me his thoughts, as well as what studies he based his conclusions on, so that I can understand (hopefully) why two well respected doctors, are offering 2 differing opinions. I will then meet with my Doc to hear what she is basing her recomendations on, and try to make a decision about what is best for me.

I unfortunately find myself very concerned and confused once again. Having spent many hours reading just about every clinical study done on breast cancer in the last 10 years, I still find that the conclusions they come to, say that ovary removal (Ovarian Ablation) in women my age, is a valid replacement for chemo! Nowhere do I find that it can be considered a replacement for hormone suppression therepy!

So yet again, I am in a decision making process and although frustrated, am at the very least thankful that I have the ability to seek 2nd opinions, and that ultimatley, I am likely receiving the best care possible. However, as I have said before, it goes to show you that if you cannot be your own advocate, it behooves you to have someone in your corner who can.

I have also set the wheels in motion to have my port removed. That's the little gadget that was implanted under the skin near my right shoulder, through which the chemo was administered. It means yet another minor surgery, but am very excited to have it out, as it really will mean that the chemo phase of my treatment is over. I am hopeful that the surgery will be scheduled for sometime in the second week of December. Good riddance!

Last but not least, Tony is still hunting, but as of today, has been unsuccessful in his quest for the elusive white tail. He is coming home Sunday, but will then head back to Bradford on Tuesday to continue the hunt. If perserverance has anything to do with it, then he will surely be successful before the season is over.

Today, I am posting the picture of Uncle Kenny and his son Michael that was taken last Sunday when he got his deer. As you may recall from the last posting, Michael got a 7 point buck opening weekend, and since he and his Dad are both awfully handsome, and because his success is part of the ongoing Munn legacy, I want to share it with all of you.

Much love.

Shannon

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Hi Shannon
Just wanted to let you know I have enjoyed reading your blog. I am Ken and Bobs, cousin, Cheryl.I live in Bradford. Ken told me about it. I chat almost every day with him.The stories and pictures I enjoy. Congrats to Ian on his first deer. That was great.
Glad to hear you are done with your chemo. Hope the rest of your treatments go well too. Maybe someetime I will get to meet you face to face. Take care . Cheryl