Monday, October 13, 2008

A rash, my ash..........







As the weeks have passed and I have progressed through my chemo treatments, I have been fortunate in that I have experienced very few side effects other than fatigue and muscle pain. Well now it seems that we have a new wrinkle in that I have started experiencing a rash on my face and body, which is due to some sort of allergic reaction. Although my nurse didn't seem to think it was an actual reaction to the chemo drugs, my friend Stephanie does Reiki for several people who are undergoing treatment for Breast Cancer, and she explained that several of these folks have experienced the same thing and were told that it is one of the side effects of chemo.

I have to admit, of all of the things I have gone through over the summer, this is perhaps the most difficult to get past. I have been taking Benedryl and applying cortisone cream, but that only calms the itching for a little while. The good news is that I am going to see a dermatologist today, and am hopeful for a solution soon.
Well enough about that. As you may know, we spent Columbus Day weekend in Bradford 4-wheeling, bow hunting, hiking, and enjoying the company of friends and family around the fire pit. My friend Dani and her grand daughter, Anna came up Saturday morning and then Goose (Linda), her husband Brian, their son Ryan and his fiance Amanda came later in the day. We all had such a good time, enjoying the view from our little house and sitting around the bon fire sharing stories and laughing our fool heads off.

Earlier in the day, Grandpa Tony, Ian and the gang took a walk to Ian's ground stand in preparation of Vermont's Youth Day. It is so wonderful to be part of this amazing rite of passage that Ian is experiencing, as he came back from their hike telling stories of when Grandpa was a boy, and went hunting with his Father. The excitement in his voice and the look on his face was worth a million bucks!

We also spent time getting the guns sighted in, and even though this was the first time that Dani and Anna had ever shot a gun, we did get a little competitive. Although everyone shot very well, I am proud to say, that while sighting in Ian's gun, I shot almost a perfect bulls eye! Anna also had an amazing shot and was just a smidge away from me! As you can imagine, we couldn't resist rubbing it in just a little! Way to go Anna!

Well, that's about it for now. I have my third treatment this Thursday, so am preparing for that. Fingers crossed that we get this allergic reaction figured out, as Heidi, Steve, Ian, little Shannon and Tony and I are headed to Florida on Oct. 23, and I don't want anything to interfere with our ability to enjoy our vacation. As with everything else, I guess I'll just keep a positive thought and know that it will all work out.

Hugs to all.

No comments: