
Whew, yesterday started as a bit of a nerve racking day, as I was concerned that I would have an accelerated allergic reaction to the chemo, given my experience with the rash last week. As usual, my wing man Goose (Linda), was by my side, helping me to focus on the positive. She took me to my treatment and got me all tucked in with my wonderful friendship quilt, and perhaps most important of all, kept me chatting, so I wouldn't spend too much time worrying.
As you know, I saw a Dermatologist on Monday, who speculated that the rash I was experiencing was indeed an allergic reaction to the chemo. He prescibed a couple of anti-histimines or histimine blockers which suppress the bodies ability to to react to the things it doesn't like. Good news because the rash went away, and I was able to make it through the rest of the week without any discomfort.
Well, it also goes to show you what worrying will get you anyway, because I had a very productive conversation with the Oncology Doc and her Physicians Assistant. They explained that although patients do often experience an allergic raection to chemo, it always presents itself within the first few days after chemo, and in fact 2 weeks later when I experienced my reaction, the chemo was very likely entirely out of my system.
They went on to tell me that they believe that it may be a reaction to the Nuelasta shot that I receive to boost the production of blood cells. So, we now have a new plan in place. I am to continue taking the histamine blockers that The Dermatologist prescribed, as there are no long term difficulties with these drugs, and bottom line is they are working. They also decided to stop giving me Nuelasta, and have prescibed Nupigen, which is a sort of derivitive of Nuelasta but not quite as strong. It's kind of cool too, because I will administer these shots myself! I always wanted to do something like that, so believe it or not, I am kind of excited to test my metal, so to speak.
So anyway, then it was on to the treatment, and I DID NOT experience any kind of reaction to the chemo, so I have to believe they may be on to something, even if it is kind of a guessing game at this point. Later this afternoon, I will go back to the hospital and my nurse (Sue), will teach me how to give myself the Nupigen shot. I will then administer two more shots to myself on Saturday and Sunday. However, as usual, my "back up" will be there in the form of Heidi. She will go to my appointment with me today, and just in case I am unable to muster the nerve to poke myself, she will be there to learn how, and then give me the shot if need be.
Lastly, I expressed concern to the Docs about my trip to Florida on Oct 23, and my worry that something may occur that interferes with our ability to enjoy ourselves and the time with the kids. She gave me a course of Prednizone and an Epi-pen, which I will take just in case I encounter a delayed reaction, as I did before. The Prednizone will act with the histimine blockers to minimize the reaction, and the Epi-pen will be used just in case I have a very severe reaction. Either way, I am now confident that everything that can be done, is being done, and I move forward feeling that I am recieving the right care and advice. So, just try to wipe that smile off my face as I board the plane for Florida in 7 days!
So all in all, yesterday was a good day. After I got home from my treatment, Heidi, Steve and Ian arrived to spend the evening with me. And my prayers were answered because Heidi brought her world famous chicken noodle soup. Let me assure you, much better than anything the docs could have prescibed! Ian also made me a card, and his sentiments were so heart felt and touching that it almost made me cry. Man, I love that kid!
In addition, Gooses's son Ryan, who has sort of adopted me, came over to do a little plumbing for me. I have been having trouble with one of the toilets, and he has become my personal plumber. All I have to do is ask, and he is there to help me, off the clock. He stayed for a visit and some of that amazing chicken soup and what started as a nerve racking day, ended with a nice little family dinner, and my knowing, how very fortunate I am!
I am posting a picture of Ryan and I, that was taken last weeknd in Bradford. As I said, the whole Goose family has taken me under their wing, and I really think Ryan and I look very cute in this shot. Besides, we love pictures of ourselves!
Hugs and love to all, and especially to my "Back Up".
Shannon
1 comment:
Love you and continue to pray for you daily. Linda and the Fam are some of the greatest people I have ever had the chance to know. As I have said before, I wish I were there... I'd be happy to be your personal nurse =) Have fun in Florida...keep in touch!
Love, Emilee
Post a Comment