Sunday, September 14, 2008

The week in review.........

What a week! A bit of a roller coaster ride in that it took me a few days to get past the effects of my first chemo treatment and Nuelasta shot, but by Tuesday I was full of piss and vinegar again and running at full steam. My nurse Sue, explained that the exhaustion I experienced on Sunday and Monday is a pretty common side effect of the Nuelasta shot. The shot sort of puts my bone marrow in over drive in an attempt to produce/replace the blood cells that the chemo has killed, which ultimately means my body is using all it's energy to promote that production. Bottom line, I'm gonna be tired and achey for a few days after each treatment.

The good news however is that because of the Nuelasta shot, I am not likely to experience Nutropenia (extremely low white blood counts) to any great degree. So although there is an obvious trade off here, in that I need to exercise some caution when it comes to hygiene and exposing myself to sick people, I shouldn't have any big worries about by body not being able to fend off disease. I guess in weighing the benefits against the negatives, I can handle being tired for a few days.

The rest of my week was terrific! Dani and I went to Appearances, which is the same place I got my wig, to buy a couple of head coverings. I remain convinced that although it is a good idea to have the wig, I am not likely to want to wear it very often. Anyway, they have all of these wonderfully decorative head bands and scarves, but all at a cost of $12 to $20. Well, Dani's creative side kicked in and so off we went to JoAnne's Fabric to buy material to make scarves and head bands. We got enough material to make something like 15 head bands and will be working on those in the coming week. I even got some camo material, so I'll be styling during hunting season!

So although I am starting to lose my hair, it still isn't noticeable to any degree and I may even make it through the second treatment before I have to consider wearing any sort of head covering. Stay posted for the big event when Josh shaves my head as we will surely have fun with it, and the pics are likely going to be quite amusing. Hey, if your friends can't help you laugh at yourself through the difficult times, then what's the point........right?

Our friends Pam & Dave Shover came for a visit on Weds. evening, and we had such a good time catching up. Pam is also one of those wonderfully creative people, and she surprised me by giving me the most beautiful pink and black quilted hand bag which she made with her very own hands! The first thing I did was put all the good luck talismans that I carry with me to my appointments in the bag, and I now have the most incredible tote to take with me to future treatments. It will of course remain with me after the treatments and each time I use it will be reminded of the goodness of the person who made it and the thoughtfulness with which it was given. Thank you sooo much Pammy!

Other than that, I spent time this week with Heidi, buying flowers for Goose's (Linda) gardens, as we are all headed over there next weekend to do some landscaping for her. She is having knee surgery on Oct. 7, and is not able to do her own gardening, so we have all volunteered to do the work for her. Heidi has an amazing talent when it comes to gardening, so we are all very excited to get to work and see the finished product.

We then finished off the weekend by doing some painting and staining at Heidi and Steve's house, and also went to dinner at JoAnne and Bill's. JoAnne is such a sweetheart because she went on the internet to research all of the side effects of chemo, and then put together a care package which included foods that are good for stomach problems and avoiding dehydration, as well as a wicked cute baseball cap, and an extra soft toothbrush for use in case of mouth sores. How can I complain when I have so many good people looking out for my well being?

So that's the story of my week. As I move past this first treatment, I have been reminded time and time again of how very fortunate I am. The support of family and friends is more than I could ever have dreamed and I so appreciate all that everyone has done to help me keep things in perspective and looking to the future. Yet again, I must say, I am one very lucky girl.........................

Love to all,
Shannon

1 comment:

Shawn said...

Hey beautiful,
Glad to hear that your chemo went ok.I wish I could protect you from this like I used to when we were small. Wish we could be there. We pray for you every night. Glad to hear that your not letting this stop you from partying and having a good time.
Gina and Shannon say hi and love you.
Will talk to you soon.
Love you.
Your handsomest brother
Shawn